Red Rice with Chicken
This is one of those Lebanese recipes that are so yummy and easy to make. The recipe is very forgiving so you can use your judgment a lot. It is really fast to make and very healthy. It got its proteins and carbohydrates all in one meal.
- A medium Onion
- 2 tablespoons of Oil (just enough to cook the onions in)
- 1 Lbs (0.5Kgs) chicken cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of rice (can use regular plain rice or basmati rice)
- 2 cups of water
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (optional but enhances the flavor)
- salt based on your taste (some people do use salt when cooking others like overly salted.)
cut the onions into small squares and cook them in oil. Then add the chicken to the onion. When the chicken is fully cooked add the water, tomato paste, cinnamon, cloves and chicken bouillon cube. let them simmer for about a minute then add the rice followed by the salt. cover them and let them cook on low heat until the rice is ready. Enjoy!
- It is always better to undersalt than over salt. If it is under salted you can always add salt to your plate. If it is overly salted it is hard to fix.
- I like to use medium grain rice for this meal. The problem with that is the rice becomes a little sticky. I don't mind it and enjoy it. I feel it adds flavor to the meal. My husband prefers basmati rice. It is a little dry with basmati but the rice grains do not stick together.
- A tomato cabbage salad would go well with this meal
This meal makes 10 servings. Each serving is 200g. In one serving, there are 173 Calories.
To see how the calories are calculated please check "Why calorie counting will change your life"